Gautam Buddha Quotes for a Positive View of Life
Today, the whole world is celebrating Buddha Purnima, the birth anniversary of Lord Gautam Buddha, who founded of world's fourth-largest religion Buddhism over 2,500 years back in India.
As per the Hindu calendar, the first full moon day of the Vaisakha month is celebrated as the birth anniversary of Lord Gautam Buddha across the world. On this day, Lord Buddha was born as Prince Siddhartha Gautam in Lumbini, now known as Nepal. It is also believed that on this day, Lord Buddha attained Nirvana under the Mahabodhi tree in Bodh Gaya. This day is also known as Vesak, Buddha Day, or Buddha Jayanti.
Buddhism traditionally promotes the importance of personal spiritual development. On this auspicious occasion of Buddha Jayanti 2020, we have listed some quotes from Gautam Buddha for a positive view of life – the time tested teachings can change your life today!
1. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
2. Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
3. The mind is everything. What you think you become.
4. You only lose what you cling to.
5. We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
6. Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
7. All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
8. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
9. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
10. Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.
11. It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you.
12. If you knew what I know about the power of giving you would not let a single meal pass without sharing it in some way.
13. Learn this from water: loud splashes the brook but the oceans depth are calm.
14. I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.
15. The past is already gone; the future is not yet here. There’s only one moment for you to live.
16. The trouble is, you think you have time.
17. As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life.
18. Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.
19. Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
20. The tongue like a sharp knife… Kills without drawing blood.
21. Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things, which renew humanity.
22. Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.
23. Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
24. What you think, you become. What you feel, you attract. What you imagine, you create.
25. Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.
26. There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.
27. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
28. If a man’s thoughts are muddy, if he is reckless and full of deceit, how can he wear the yellow robe? Whoever is master of his own nature, bright, clear and true, he may indeed wear the yellow robe.
29. Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten.
30. One should strive to understand what underlies sufferings and diseases – and aim for health and well being while gaining in the path.
31. If you are quiet enough, you will hear the flow of the universe. You will feel its rhythm. Go with this flow. Happiness lies ahead. Meditation is key.
32. Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.
33. There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.
34. To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others.
35. The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.