Navratri Special Fast Recipes
Embrace the joy of the festival with a few amazing fast recipes that are packed in flavour as well as nutrition. From old favourites to newer ones, indulge in a lot more than just the usual fare, this Navratri.
Sabudana is full of carbohydrates and would give you the much-needed energy boost while fasting.
● Soak the sabudana in water, preferably overnight. It will fluff up after soaking.
● Drain off excess water if any, before cooking.
● Add oil to a non-stick pan. Once warm, add in the cumin seeds. Add in the cubed potatoes and cook on a low flame until tender.
● Add curry leaves, ginger, chopped chilies, salt and cook for a minute more.
● Add crushed roasted peanuts and lemon juice to the sabudana bowl and mix well.
● Now add coated sabudana to the pan, mix everything well and cook until the sabudana is a bit translucent.
Kuttu (Buckwheat) is widely consumed as flour in many parts of India during the nine days of fasting. It is a seed that is high in protein and fibre. Preparing this dosa is easy, as it just takes about 15-20 minutes to cook.
● In a bowl, mash boiled arbi and mix it with the kuttu flour and salt. Add some water and mix well.
● Add ajwain, red chilli powder, ginger, and green chillies and mix again.
● Keep adding water till the batter turns into a smooth flowing consistency.
● Heat a flat pan, pour a ladle of batter and spread it. Cook till it gets crispy.
● Add boiled, spiced potatoes as filling and serve hot with mint and coconut chutney.
Fasting need not be boring anymore. Try out the spiced banana kebabs that perfectly melt in your mouth. A perfect festival snack to indulge in!
● Steam bananas, eliachi, and ginger till they are soft and cooked. Keep it aside to cool down.
● Once it cools down, mash the bananas and add spices along with kuttu flour.
● Add chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chillies and lemon juice. Mix them well, to form a dough. Make small balls and roll them out.
● Fry them, until golden brown.
Arbi Kofta with Mint Yoghurt Dip
Tired of eating potatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner when fasting? Try this delicious Arbi Kofta recipe that is a perfect tea-time snack for you during the navratras.
● Boil the arbi in a pressure cooker or in a pan till it becomes soft. Peel them all and add ginger, green chilies and salt. Mash and mix everything uniformly.
● While shaping the kofta, apply some oil on your palms as the mixture is sticky.
● Shape into cylinders and pan fry them till golden brown.
● Serve Arbi Kofta hot with mint yogurt dip.
During the fasting season of Navratri, try out this delightful paneer recipe. Made with grated paneer, potatoes, sendha namak and spices, this is a delicious mid-day snack.
● Take boiled potato and paneer in a bowl together.
● Add green chilli, ginger, cumin powder, sendha namak, black pepper, cardamom powder, nutmeg, and coriander leaves.
● Mix all the ingredients well, make a dough, make small balls and roll it out.
● Fry till the rolls get golden brown. Serve hot and pair it with mint or coriander chutney.
Sama Rice Dhokla
Made with sama chawal, these dhoklas are a treat during the fast since it is healthy, tender and delicious.
● Soak sama ke chawal and powdered sabudana in water overnight, in the refrigerator. Grind it until smooth. Add curd along with enough water to make a dropping consistency batter. Add spices, baking powder and beat it well.
● Pour the mix and steam dhokla for 12- 15 minutes
● Prepare tadka and as they start to sizzle, take it off the flame and pour over dhokla. Cut squares and enjoy it with the chutney.